Cronauer Law, LLP


Contact Us

Federal Tort Claims Act

Have you been injured by the Federal Government?

If you have been injured by the federal government, you may be able to collect compensation.

Generally speaking, the federal government cannot be sued. There is a long-established doctrine known as sovereign immunity that says the government is immune from suit. Accordingly, the government can only be sued if they (the government) has given permission to be sued.

When it comes to negligence, the government has given such permission through the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).

The FTCA allows tort claims against the federal government.

This law says that the federal government can be sued for its own negligence and some other torts. There are notable exceptions and various procedural technicalities, but the government can be sued nonetheless.

Claims can vary a lot, including car wrecks with federal vehicles, medical malpractice by federal doctors, and even negligence by federal law enforcement agencies.

Typically speaking, a person who has been harmed must present their claim to the appropriate federal agency in an attempt to resolve the matter without going to court. This is considered an “administrative claim” or “exhaustion of administrative remedies.” If that does not resolve the issue, a plaintiff can go to federal court.

Importantly, a plaintiff is not required to sue in Washington D.C., where most federal agencies are based; a plaintiff can sue where they live or wherever the harm occurred.

Not many law firms handle these types of cases, but Cronauer Law does. We know the law and are not afraid of standing up for our clients’ rights against the federal government. If you have been harmed by government negligence, contact Cronauer Law today.

Want to learn more? See our related links.

How to fill out this form:
Enter as much information as you can. Skip any questions that you do not know right away or does not apply to you.
You have reached the end of the form, click on the button below to have a lawyer review your case.