Cronauer Law, LLP


Contact Us

Administrative Discharges

Honorable | Under Honorable Conditions (General)
Under Other Than Honorable Conditions (UO / OTH / UOTHC)

Terminating your service

Administrative discharges, also sometimes known as administrative separations or “ADSEPs,” are the formal process for someone’s military service ending. An administrative discharge can occur either voluntarily or involuntarily. There are three main types of service characterizations: honorable; under honorable conditions (general); and under other than honorable conditions, sometimes called a “UO,” “OTH,” or “UOTHC.”

Servicemembers who are accused of misconduct that does not result in prosecution at a court-martial (e.g., minor misconduct or misconduct that civilian authorities are prosecuting instead of the military) are frequently notified of administrative discharge. These are involuntary and are roughly the equivalent of being fired from a civilian job.

When a servicemember is notified of an involuntary administrative discharge, the stakes are high. How someone’s service is characterized will stay with them for life and is frequently asked about on school and job applications in the civilian world. Discharges characterized as UO or UOTHC carry a major stigma. And even a general discharge may result in the loss of significant veterans’ benefits, e.g., the G.I Bill.

Facing an administrative discharge can be overwhelming. Sometimes things move extremely fast and it’s like a blur. Other times, things move painfully slow and foster crippling anxiety. No matter what, it is important to have someone in your corner who you can trust. Someone who can advocate for you. And someone who isn’t afraid to stand-up against long odds.

As a former active duty JAG officer and two-time defense counsel in the Air Force, Ross Brennan at Cronauer Law is a seasoned advocate in defending administrative discharges. Contact Cronauer Law today for a free consultation with an experienced military criminal defense attorney.

we take pride in what we do.

How to fill out this form:
Enter as much information as you can. Skip any questions that you do not know right away or does not apply to you.
You have reached the end of the form, click on the button below to have a lawyer review your case.